- Learning Studio - week of August 25

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 31 2002 - 14:22:18 PDT

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 14:22:18 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of August 25

This is the weekly informative posting by the Exploratorium Learning Studio.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/

This week I almost forgot to send this out. I've been loosing track of what
day it is, luckily I launch my Palm OS handheld by pressing the Date Book
button.

This week I have fewer electronic resources to announce plus a couple of
printed books in the collection. With the budget being what it is I am not
buying much for the Learning Studio, instead concentrating on renewing our
magazines. However at home I have been cleaning things up so I have brought
in a few items that I will start announcing, one at a time, next week.

And now for the stuff:

WEB PAGE OF THE WEEK:

California Rivers Assessment Interactive Web Database
http://endeavor.des.ucdavis.edu/newcara/

Given the Mediterranean climate we have in California our rivers are
crucial to our economy. This database provides a variety of information
concerning our rivers. An easy way to search is by watershed in a pop down
menu on the home page. When you have selected a watershed you are shown a
map of the state with the area in red as well as information and
statistics. If you click on the map it displays a map of the searched area.

You can also search and display information in a variety of other ways.

UPDATED WEB GUIDES:

Computer Science
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/ComputerInfo.html

Fungi
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/FungiInfo.html

History of Science
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/HistoryInfo.html

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

Integrated Principles of Zoology / Cleveland P. Hickman, Jr., Larry S.
Roberts, Allan Larson ; original artwork by William C. Ober and Claire
Garrison.
General collection circ.
QL 47.2 .H54 1997

A big, beautiful book.

Details that are fascinating like salt secreting glands on sea gulls heads,
or how barnacles mate (they actually link up), or the excretory structure
of a flatworm. What is also amazing is the variety of parasitic critters
there are, you may never want to eat rare beef again.

One suggestion tho' folks. Don't use those nice little pull off tabs to
mark your place, they leave a glue residue and several pages of this book
were stuck together. I had to wipe off the glue with a dry paper towel.
Luckily the tabs had been used to mark the first page of chapters, but
there are 40 chapters in this book.

PRINTED, NOT NEW TO THE COLLECTION BUT COOL:

 The Anthropology of World's Fairs : San Francisco's Panama Pacific
International Exposition of 1915 / by Burton Benedict, with contributions
by Marjorie M. Dobkin ... [et al.].
Berkeley, Calif. : Lowie Museum of Anthropology ; London ; Berkeley :
Scolar Press, 1983.
General collection circ.
TC 781 .B2 B47 1983

I assume you have been hearing all the hoopla about the possible Olympics
in our own beloved Frisco?

Behind all such large spectacular events is a mass of politics, economics,
reaching for status, and complex back room deals. The Panama Pacific
International Exposition of 1915 was no exception. This book does an
anthropological analysis of other fairs of the times. It also covers
various events surrounding the fair including the attempts to lift the
image of San Francisco after the earthquake and the graft scandals that
followed.

NEW INTERNET eTEXTS:

Each week I will list online materials are freely available over the Internet.
These materials were located in the past week by Learning Studio staff.

Some of these documents may be in PDF format and require the use of a free
reader.
 http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

Additions for the week of August 25:

New Books and Pamphlets:

1. 1997 Sacramento River Aerial Atlas
http://www.sacramentoriver.ca.gov/publications/97sacriveratlas/index.html

2. Engines and Innovation: Lewis Laboratory and American Propulsion Technology
(SP-4306, 1991)
by Virginia P. Dawson.
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4306/sp4306.htm

3. Good Governance, Indigenous Peoples, and Biodiversity Conservation:
Recommendations for Enhancing Results across Sectors
Janis B Alcorn
http://www.bsponline.org/bsp/publications/asia/120/Good_Governance_1.pdf

4. The History of Animals.
Aristotle. 350 BC.
http://www.esp.org/books/aristotle/history-of-animals/html

5. Insectivorous Plants
by Charles Darwin
http://pages.britishlibrary.net/charles.darwin3/insectivorous/insect_fm.htm

6. Is Our Project Succeeding? A Guide to Threat Reduction Assessment for
Conservation
by Richard Margoluis & Nick Salafsky
http://www.bsponline.org/bsp/publications/aam/threat/tra.pdf

7. NASA Student Involvement Program-Aerospace Technology Engineering Guide
EP-2002-08-401-HQ
http://spacelink.nasa.gov/Instructional.Materials/NASA.Educational.Products/Aero
space.Technology.Engineering.Guide/

8. NASA Student Involvement Program-Design a Mission to Mars Guide
EP-2002-08-385-HQ
http://spacelink.nasa.gov/Instructional.Materials/NASA.Educational.Products/Desi
gn.a.Mission.to.Mars.Guide/

9. NASA Student Involvement Program-Flight Opportunities Educator's
Resource Guide
EP-2002-08-393-HQ
http://spacelink.nasa.gov/Instructional.Materials/NASA.Educational.Products/Flig
ht.Opportunities.Guide

10. NASA Student Involvement Program-My Planet Earth Guide
EP-2002-08-338-HQ
http://spacelink.nasa.gov/Instructional.Materials/NASA.Educational.Products/My.P
lanet.Earth.Guide

11. NASA Student Involvement Program-Science & Technology Journalism Guide
EP-2002-08-387-HQ
http://spacelink.nasa.gov/Instructional.Materials/NASA.Educational.Products/Scie
nce.and.Technology.Journalism.Guide

12. On the Generation of Animals.
Aristotle. 350 BC.
http://www.esp.org/books/aristotle/generation-of-animals/html

13. On the Parts of Animals.
Aristotle. 350 BC.
http://www.esp.org/books/aristotle/parts-of-animals/html

New Bibliographies/Indexes:

Poisonous Plant Database
U.S. Food & Drug Administration
Center for Food Safety & Applied Nutrition
Office of Plant and Dairy Foods and Beverages
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~djw/readme.html