Further Neutrino Question (was Sun Not Turned Off)

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 12:46:39 PDT

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 15:46:39 EDT
Subject: Further Neutrino Question (was Sun Not Turned Off)

>This discovery also means that neutrinos have rest mass.
> I've been waiting for the solution to this scientific puzzle for a decade!
> Paul Doherty

Dear Dr. Paul:

I have always been under the assumption that photons could travel at the
speed of light because they had no rest mass. Relativity projected that mass
would keep increasing on any particle having a rest mass as it was
accelerated toward the speed of light. Thus, not even a single proton could
be accelerated to the absolute speed of light without converting all the mass
in the universe into energy to drive it. So what have I missed that allows
neutrinos to travel at the speed of light with a rest mass and not have the
particle mass become infinite as predicted by relativity? When they phase
into the particle form do they slow down?

Thanks,

Al Sefl
Trying to think deep thoughts while grinding away on his 10" telescope mirror
blank...

Neurons, use 'em or lose 'em...