Subject: Recycling

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 20:58:08 PDT

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:58:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Subject: Recycling

Our school is about to start a big recycling campaign.
Being a skeptic I looked for critical essays about
recycling on the web. Found a few, esp. concerning
plastics (PVCs in particular, which I don't think we
use much at school), Paper (concerns over the
recycling methods creating toxic sludge from the ink
and chlorine wastes) and stuff like Lead (recycling
continues, but mostly offshore and creating terrifying
conditions in third world countries). I also found
that Waste Management Incorporated is, pardon the pun,
pretty dirty.

Here's my questions:
When you put a pound of paper in the recycling bin (in
our school it is completely mixed with color and
cardboard) how much of it is actually recycled into
paper? Does this amount vary by state? If so, how well
does California do? Where is this recycling taking
place in California?

When you recycle plastic, mixed plast products, such
as plastic from our laminator, milk cartons, soda
bottles, etc. how much is returned as bottles, how
much is "downcycled" into something like a gym mat,
and how much ends up back in the dump. Where is this
recycling being done.

With firm handshake (I've recycled "With firm
handshake from a previous Pinhole!)
Raleigh (also recycled)