moons

From: Jeff Friedman (jefffr@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Sep 15 2002 - 12:21:42 PDT

From: "Jeff Friedman" <jefffr@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: moons
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 12:21:42 -0700

Hi,
   I'm looking for more activities I can use this coming week(s) about
moons, including Luna and moons of other planets. I teach 9th grade
integrated science and most of my students are way below grade level in
math. At this time, I have no way to make my classrooms
dark. So far, we have been...
 -doing lunar observations
- using a model sun (overhead projector light), moon (small styrofoam
ball), and earth (our heads) to explain the phases.

Next, we will do Project ASTRO's 3d clay model of the earth and moon.
Also, we will work in small groups to demonstrate the motion of the moon
about the Earth and how the same side of the moon always faces Earth.

  Thanks for any advice,
       Jeff Friedman
       Wallenberg High School
       San Francisco Unified School District