- Learning Studio - week of September 15

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 10:59:19 PDT

Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 10:59:19 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of September 15

This is the weekly informative posting by the Exploratorium Learning Studio.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/

A good week, the CILS program http://www.exploratorium.edu/cils/ has been
busy in the classrooms and folks attending have been dropping by to use the
computers and look at our materials. The museum itself has been rather
quiet, soon school field trips will begin and the floor will become very
busy.

WEB PAGE OF THE WEEK:

Earth and Moon Viewer
http://www.fourmilab.to/earthview/

A rather interesting site that simulates views of the Earth and Moon with
current day and night cycles. Views are not from a single point but from
several angles allowing you to view the Earth from the moon or sun for
example.

SCIENCE NEWS:

Odd dino has rabbit-like teeth

On a possible two legged plant eater.

UPDATED WEB GUIDES:

This week instead of devoting some time to checking for new pages we did a
link check and corrected many changed links. We also added graphics to a
few pages.

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

Simplifying the slide rule: introducing the unifact method, by Robert W. Marks.
New York, Bantam Books [1964]
General collection circ.
QA 73 .M28 1964

Before electronic computers were invented a computer was
 A person who computed numbers, often on a slide rule.

NEW INTERNET eTEXTS:

Each week I will list online materials are freely available over the Internet.
These materials were located in the past week by Learning Studio staff.

Some of these documents may be in PDF format and require the use of a free
reader.
 http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

Additions for the week of September 15:
New Books and Pamphlets:

1. GCOS Guide to Satellite Instruments for Climate
June 1995
http://www.wmo.ch/web/gcos/Publications/gcos-16.pdf

2. The Global Carbon Cycle
SCOPE 13
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope13/index.html

3. Helping Children Learn Mathematics
Jeremy Kilpatrick and Jane Swafford, Editors, Mathematics Learning Study
Committee, National Research Council
http://www.nap.edu/books/0309084318/html/

4. Learning and Understanding: Improving Advanced Study of Mathematics and
Science in U.S. High Schools
Committee on Programs for Advanced Study of Mathematics and Science in
American High Schools, National Research Council
http://www.nap.edu/books/0309074401/html/

5. Minority Students in Special and Gifted Education
Committee on Minority Representation in Special Education, M. Suzanne
Donovan and Christoper T. Cross, Editors, National Research Council
http://www.nap.edu/catalog/10128.html

New Periodicals:

1. Environmental Health Perspectives

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu