decibels

From: Kevin Kinsella (kkinsella@woodside1.woodside.k12.ca.us)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 10:24:25 PDT

From: "Kevin Kinsella" <kkinsella@woodside1.woodside.k12.ca.us>
Subject: decibels
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:24:25 -0700

Can someone out there explain to me how decibels relate to volume and
pitch? I understand the scale but am confused with the idea of
'intensity'.

Incidentally, I found a good way to model vibrating air molecules by
having students stand in concentric circles with hands on each other's
shoulders. The inner circle of students put their hands on an object
that the teacher hits in order to start the vibrations. It has
limitations but it gets them thinking.

Thanks,

Kevin k.