Re: whoosh bottle

From: Deb Jensen (deb@meer.net)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 21:43:34 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:43:34 -0700
From: Deb Jensen <deb@meer.net>
Subject: Re: whoosh bottle

>>I've been doing this demo for years and it always gets a great
>>response, but you have to be safety conscience. Follow this link
>>for a story of a mishap of this demo (they used glass)
>>http://www.labsafety.org/news/bakersexp.htm.

Sheesh. I thought it was bad when I grabbed the wrong end of a soldering
iron in front of a whole class - this is much more exciting. <G>

I've done a demo similar to this with a Pringle's potato chip can and a
Nerf ball. You stuff the ball in the open end of the can, and punch a hole
about an inch up from the bottom end. Squirt in some methanol (can't
remember how much, a few drops maybe?), give it a little time to vaporize,
then light at the hole with a match (aimed away from your face). Nice
"rocket launcher", and no one gets hurt by shredded cardboard if it blows
up on the launchpad (I never saw one do this).

deb \m/