Sound and Magnetism

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 11:25:39 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:25:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Sound and Magnetism

My third graders are goofing around with sound
experiments and a few of my fourth graders have been
doing some magnetism stuff. One of the fourth graders
asked me what happens to magnetism when it "gets
noisy". We talked a bit and she told me that she
wonders if really fast vibrations, like a high pitch,
change how magnets work. My first thought, at the
ranges we talk about in elementary school, there's no
easy connection, but then...I can't think of any
experiment to provide a vehicle to explore
magnetism/sound for elementary school. Any ideas?

With firm handshake,
Raleigh