Re: pinhole gravity

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 14:59:09 PST

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: pinhole gravity
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:59:07 US/Pacific

Hi Jennie

Scientists treat forces on different levels.

At the simplest level Gravity is a force of attraction which is proportional to
the product of the masses of two objects. (And falls off as the inverse square of
the distance between the centers two spherical objects.) You can use the force to
calculate the motion of an object.

Eistein created general relativity in which one more step is added, mass warps
spacetime and then objects move in this warped spacetime.

This more complicated explanation came with a prediction that when light crosses
space in the presence of a mass it falls twice as much under Einsteins model as
under the simple Newtonian model. This prediction was verified by observing stars
during total solar eclipses and noting how much their apparent position was
deflected by the gravity of the sun. (Newer tests are much better than this now
questioned original data.) There is no observable difference in the prediction of
general relativity from Newtonian mechanics on the motion of a basketball dropped
near the surface of the earth.

Another model has gravity originating by the exchange of virtual gravitons,
essentially, masses exchange these particles which are carriers of the gravity
force.

In the same way. Electromagnetic forces are carried between particles by the
exchange of virtual photons.

Which model you choose depends on the questiuons you are asking and the detail
you need.

Paul D