Electricity

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 20:12:17 PST

Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 20:12:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Electricity

There is an ongoing discussion among elementary school
teachers over what to call that which lights a light.
We are talking about fourth grade science. On one side
are teachers who use terms such as "electricity",
"electrical current", and "energy" somewhat
interchangably. When a second bulb is placed in a
series circuit lighting a single bulb the two bulbs
appear dimmer. One of the teachers is saying there is
"less electricity" in the two bulb circuit, and, "as
we all know, less electricity, less light." To give
you a little more context the discussion is connected
to the fact that this teacher avoids saying
"resistance" or "load" thinking this is "too
complicated for fourth graders". (Please, I know, a
light is not the best example of a resister, with its
constant change of reistance.) It even got to the
point where a teacher started calling a light a
"receiver" and I about croaked.

I honestly worry that not talking about resistance is
worse than trying to dodge it because of the potential
(ha! a vile pun) confusion. I'm concerned that when we
start using terms like "electricity" to mean the same
thing as "current" or "voltage" that we are building a
confusing base for the student to figure this stuff
out later. I use the pipe model when I teach and I
think fourth graders do grok resistance, although it
may not be a deep and profound understanding.

My question. What do you think about experimenting
with lightbulbs dimming as they are added in a series
circuit and using the term "electricity" to talk about
what is happening? What do you think about saying
"there is more electricity" in the single bulb
circuit?

With firm handshake,
Raleigh (redikilowatt) Mclemore