Re: pinhole Magnets

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 10:07:37 PST

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: pinhole Magnets
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:07:35 US/Pacific

> Below are a few questions my students asked when exploring magnets. Perhaps
> you have answers?
>
> 1. Why do magnets have North and South poles? What's going on inside the
> magnet that causes this?
All magnetism is made by moving electric charge.
Magnetic poles are made by chage moving in a circle (or a ball of charge
rotating) a rotating ball has an axis of rotation with two ends a circle has an
axle through the center with wo protruding ends. Each end is a pole.

> 2. Why does north repel north and north attract south?
Because.
(The real answer involves using reativity to show that agnetism is the
relativistic transform of electricity, this transers the question to "why do like
charges repel and unlike chaes attract. To which the answer is "Because.")

> 3. Are magnets used for pain therapy, and, if so, how does this work?
Magnets are used for pain therapy because most people don't understand how they
work so they trigger the placebo efect. All scientific tests of DC magnets have
shown that they have no effect on human Biochemistry, no ill efects and no good
effecs.

> 4. How are magnets made? What happens inside a substance that changes it
> from non-magnetic to magnetic?
Every electron is a magnet. In most materials neighboring electrons line up
opposite (they have opposite spins) the north of one cancels the south from its
neighbor. In iron however it is possible to apply a strong external magnetic
field to allign man electrons so they spin n te same direction. When the outside
field is removed the electrons remain spining in the same direction. So, you make
a magnet with another stronger magnet.

> 5. Does a battery have a small magnet inside it? Why does a compass move
> when a 9V battery is brought close to it?
A battery contains no magnets, however a comass is a mane, and the case of te
atery s seel. o the comass magnet attracts the steel case.