the official job announcement from WOCS

From: Lori Lambertson (loril@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 13:13:40 PST

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 13:13:40 -0800
From: Lori Lambertson <loril@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: the official job announcement from WOCS

West Oakland Community School
955 - 12th Street, Oakland, California 94607 … (510) 465-WOCS (9627) phone
… (510) 465-8071 fax

´´´ IMMEDIATE OPENING ´´´

Job Announcement: Sixth Grade Science & Physical Education Instructor

The West Oakland Community School (WOCS) is a charter school serving
students in grades 6 to 8. Founded by a volunteer group comprised of
parents, teachers, youth advocates, and community activists, WOCS began
operating in September, 1999. Our mission is to nurture a new generation
of servant leaders dedicated to social and economic justice for all people.
We focus on three key priorities: youth leadership development, college
preparation, and African American history and culture.

As a school that is purposefully designed to function as much like an
extended family as a learning community, WOCS maintains a small enrollment
(currently only 50 students), a unique schedule (8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
daily), and a low ratio of students to adults (5 to 1). We have a special
concern for the unique history, experience, strengths and needs of African
American children and their families. We also have a strong interest in
the revitalization of the West Oakland community.

We seek individuals who:

… have experience in working with/educating urban middle school-aged
children, particularly African American children;
… have expertise in science, health and physical education;
… are pedagogically flexible and creative in educating urban youth;
… show resilience in helping to shape the direction for a new school;
… will work tirelessly and collaboratively with other staff;
… have a California teaching credential OR are willing to pursue a
credential while teaching.

Responsibilities include:

… teaching two classes (25 students in each class) of science (two morning
sessions per week);
… teaching two classes (25 students in each class) of physical education
(four afternoon sessions per week);
… planning, developing, and implementing curriculum;
… collaborating closely with other core instructors and staff;
… supporting student learning throughout the school day.

WOCS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on an
applicant's or employee's race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry,
age, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or
veteran status, gender, pregnancy or any other characteristic protected by
applicable State or Federal Law.

We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. This is a full-time
position, although we welcome part-time candidates who are able to teach
only science or only physical education.

We are seeking candidates now! Submit a cover letter and resume to Akiyu
Hatano (Ms.), Executive Director, by fax (510-465-8071) or e-mail
(akiyuhatano@hotmail