(no subject)

From: Tim/Joan Merrill (tmerrill@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 20:04:39 PST

From: "Tim/Joan Merrill" <tmerrill@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 04:04:39 +0000

Hi Shannon,
        I have kids make accelerometers and one of the common themes is an
instrument using a liquid that sloshes backwards during acceleration. We
discuss that when the liquid sloshes back, there must be a force pushing
forward and an acceleration forward. Then I put a thin rectangular
transparent box of colored water on a record turntable. We review the
accelerometer behavior. then I turn on the turntable. The kids look at the
sloshed water and relatively quickly agree the force must be inward and
acceleration must also be inward. But I keep it turning for a long time to
reinforce the vision.

        Good luck,
        Tim Merrill