Re: pinhole Light mass

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 08:57:07 PST

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: pinhole Light mass
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 08:57:00 US/Pacific

 Hi Geoff

Photons have no rest mass, but they are never at rest either.

However they do have mass. Everything with energy has mass through the famous
equation

 E = mc^2 so m = E/c^2

and the energy of photons is dependent on their frequency E = hf

so m = hf/c^2 gives the mass of a photon.

Photons do fall under gravity (this has been observed)

And photons do gravitationally attract other photons in theory, I'm not sure this
has been observed yet.

Paul D