Re: pinhole Y-linked traits?

From: gary@horne.cc
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 13:08:29 PST

From: gary@horne.cc
Subject: Re: pinhole Y-linked traits?
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 16:08:29 -0500

What I think is most interesting is that all the genes for female
traits (hormones, body parts, etc) AND all the genes for male traits
(hormones, body parts, etc) BOTH lie on the "X" chromosome. Thus, we
all have the genes for producing eggs and fertilizing them. The "y"
chromosome simply activates the male traits on the x chromosome.
Cool, huh?

Occasionally, the y malfunctions and doesn't activate the "male"
genes on the x. These "xy" women are usually fine...often strikingly
beautiful, with little evidence of their y chromosome. (I can't
remember for sure, but sometimes they are born with deformed
genitals,but it's usually fixed right away)

My source for all of this is a book entitled, "Women: An Intimate
Geography." Fascinating reading for both men and women.