Re: Science Books for ESL Learners

From: Carlie Fisher (fisherc@mail.pvpusd.k12.ca.us)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 09:46:45 PST

Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:46:45 -0800
From: Carlie Fisher <fisherc@mail.pvpusd.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Science Books for ESL Learners

Dear Josh,
    The California Department of Education has just published a list of recommended literature with a science bent. The address is
http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/scimathlit/ The cool thing about this list is that they have alligned the titles with the standards by grade level;
the not-so-cool thing is that the list does not appear to be edited very carefully (some titles are out-of-print; others do not appear to be
age-level appropriate, either too high or too low). However, with a little help from my local librarian, I was able to select several titles
for my students about genetics. I just finished reading "Stuck in Neutral" by Terry Trueman about a boy with cerebral palsy; the language is
pretty simple, although the issues it brings up are very complex. Good luck!
    Carlie