Re: Pinhole Digest #1091 - 12/19/02

From: David Lauter (djlauter@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 21:24:22 PST

From: "David Lauter" <djlauter@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #1091 - 12/19/02
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:24:22 -0800

Re: glowing chlorophyll
Before I try this, has anyone demonstrated fluorescence with chlorophyll? I
couldn't find a SNACK on this subject. I read on a very annoying list
serve, not like pinhole, that the procedure for this demonstration is pretty
simple. 1) Any green leaf will do. 2) Under a hood, boil the leaves in
alcohol. 3) Collect the transparent green supernatant. 4) Get the room as
dark as possible. 5) Shine UV light at the green solution and the
chlorophyll will glow orange.
Should I worry about the kind of alcohol? I think isopropyl was
recommended. For the maximum effect how much solution should I make?
Eric, you should have something to say about this. Think of the tricks you
can do at your favorite dark and romantic restaurant. Lettuce boiled in
wine?

Lauter
George Washington High

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=