Re: pinhole Limiting Reactant Demo

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 08:29:13 PST

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 08:29:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole Limiting Reactant Demo

On the "shrinking carbon dioxide balloon".

This is one of those great experiments where I feel
more like a kid than a teacher. The following letter
will be an open admission of my deeper ignorance of
some of these concepts. Paul and I talked a couple
years ago after the first observation and he gave me
some ideas of where to look for the explaination.

First, the balloon that has been filed by a reaction
of baking soda an vinegar does seem to deflate much
faster than a balloon filled to the same size as a
balloon filled with air. This is also true when you
fill one balloon with the gases released from dry ice
so I assume that the rapid deflation has something to
do with Carbon dioxide. I've observed this many times
and only rarely have wild hallucinations in months
without "k" in them so I believe my observations are
real.

Second, and Paul you may chime in here, I was told to
review the gas laws an especially equilibruim of
gases. So I imagined that the Carbon dioxide was
trying to reach equilibrium with the level of Carbon
dioxide in the atmosphere...but I might way off as I
never followed up with Paul to see if I was on the
right track. I imagine that Carbon dioxide seems to
escape the balloon skin because of the molecule's size
or shape...but I'm not sure of this either.

I've begun to question all the Carbon dioxide willing
to be interviewed but so far they are a sullen and
unhelpful bunch. I've always felt that way about
Carbon dioxide, too big for it's atomic number.

With firm handshake,
Raleigh