RE: Subject: CO2 partial pressure

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 07:55:36 PST

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 07:55:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Subject: CO2 partial pressure

Neil,

The balloon doesn't just "look limp" it actually is
drawn into the small plastic soda bottle and then the
bottle slowly collapses in most cases. This takes a
lot of time, the experiment is best carried out behind
a box while you teach a theme or two, but it does
work. As I understand what Paul is saying the CO2
pressure in the bottle, since most of the atmospheric
air is pushed out when the experiment is conducted,
equalizes with the pressure of CO2 in the atmosphere.
This is less than the overall atmospheric pressure and
thus the balloon is "pushed" into the bottle and the
bottle collapses as the CO2 gas leaves the balloon.
The additional factor being that CO2 apparently more
easily travels through the latex than the external
atmospheric gases...so the movement of gases tends to
be one way. Next time I do this I'll leave the bottle
alone for a year or two and see what happens.

Excuses for my ignorance follow:

"I dunno, only know what I'm told, is there a test? Oh
god, I'd better study, I hate this d**n class anyway.
I didn't have time to study..."

With firm handshake,
Raleigh