Wimshurst machine

From: Eric Plett (EPlett@serrahs.com)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 17:42:04 PST

From: Eric Plett <EPlett@serrahs.com>
Subject: Wimshurst machine
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 17:42:04 -0800

Hello pinholers,

It's been a while since I have been able to contact Pinhole. Some
Scandinavian countries were using our school to bounce things into the web
and many destinations blacked us out.

It is electrostatics time for me and I'm firing up the Vandegraaff and the
Wimshurst machine.

First of all I had to replace the belt on the Vandegraaff and I'm having a
problem that I've never had before. I was testing the machine out after
replacing the belt and I noticed that the machine was very warm at the
motor. Does that mean that I have a short? The machine is working just not
very well and the heat worries me!

Second, for the Wimshurst, is the answer the same as the 'chain of monks'.
Charge up the Wimshurst, make a chain and each end grabs one of the
discharge balls . . . Safe? I just did it last night with my family and my
wife thought that it hurt at the wrists.

Eric Plett