Project Astro

From: Kevin Kinsella (kkinsella@woodside1.woodside.k12.ca.us)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 15:37:29 PST

From: "Kevin Kinsella" <kkinsella@woodside1.woodside.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Project Astro
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 15:37:29 -0800

There is a wonderful program that I participate in called Project Astro.
It is run by the Astronomical Society of the Pacific and its aim is to
pair up classroom teachers and amateur astronomers. It is a great way to
integrate astronomy into your classroom in a pretty low effort way.
There is a summer training program and they give you a huge binder of
excellent hands-on activities. You are free to create your own schedule
and to develop your own plan for working with your astronomer buddy. My
astronomer makes monthly visits to only one of my classes. It is my
first year with the program and they encourage you to start slow and be
realistic. His visits and our interactions invigorate my own curiosity
about Astronomy and the kids look forward to every visit. I highly
recommend this program for anyone interested in working a little more
science into your curriculum. Below is a link to a website with an
application, check it out if you’re interested, you’ve got nothing to
loose.

http://www.astrosociety.org/baprojectastro.html.

Kevin Kinsella
5th/6th Science Explorer