What Is This Stuff? Bolometer/Thermopile

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 09:33:28 PST

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:33:28 EST
Subject: What Is This Stuff?  Bolometer/Thermopile

Roy and Jeff:

Thanks for the US Patent Office information. I still cannot get the past the
main web page to search the patent numbers and that is why I could not find
out what I had. The design of my "What's It" is a horn to gather the IR
radiation and concentrate the IR onto the thermocouples (thermopile). I am
assuming you would use the device hooked up to a galvanometer to get
readings. So it must be a Bolometer for measuring heat output; but, what
heat output was it meant to measure? Perhaps it was to show how a flame
projects radiated heat or maybe for an incandescent light bulb. That was the
final part of the question, how is the device used for a classroom demo?

Roy, you found the device listed as an IR emitter? I could see it as a
receiver but would not want to put current through the fragile little ribbons
of metal on the thermocouples to make it an emitter. I do hope CENCO used
the correct patent number or this will be a wild goose chase.

One little note, to stop spam I have a firewall that lets in only those email
addresses I want to hear from and if you tried to get me from the link on the
"What's This?" page it may have bounced back to you. I have lifted the
firewall for a few days since clicking on my name goes to my
<SFPhysics@aol.com> address and people may be trying to reach me with the
link. The firewall will go back up at the end of a week so it is best to
contact me through the Pinhole List (the one you are reading now).

Thanks again to everyone,

Al Sefl
Who tossed the apple at Newton when he dosed off under the tree...