Re: Golf Ball

From: Roy Mayeda (roy_mayeda@isd743.k12.mn.us)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 05:28:39 PST

Date: 21 Mar 2003 07:28:39 -0600
From: Roy Mayeda <roy_mayeda@isd743.k12.mn.us>
Subject: Re: Golf Ball

I hadn't seen a response to this. In the Exploratorium tradition, I decided to try it. I noticed no significant spin imparted to a golf ball dropped on a smooth, hard surface. Wonder if the spin might have been caused by interaction with an uneven surface. Golf balls are incredibly resilient, so I'm thinking that perhaps a small, non-uniform deformation might have generated the spin. I'd really like it if I could get the ball to NOT spin so much off a driver -- it would probably add 25-30% to my distance! (I hit sort of like the pros: 300 yd drives -- but 150 yds forward and 150 yds to the right!) And of course you know why golf balls have dimples, right? ... it makes them cuter. :-) Okay, sorry. I've had a cold and I'm even farther out there than usual.

Roy Mayeda
Sauk Centre HS
Sauk Centre, MN