Energy of EM waves

From: Bill Taylor (bt4_1284@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 18:07:32 PST

Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 18:07:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Bill Taylor <bt4_1284@yahoo.com>
Subject: Energy of EM waves

Is the energy of a wave proportional to the square of the amplitude? If
so, then for an EM wave, it should be independent of frequency - ?

I am looking at Giancoli and other texts and trying to figure this out.
Giancoli seems to indicate that the energy of an EM wave is proportional
to the square of the amplitude, (Fourth Edition, p. 637) but I am also in
possession of an overhead from Chemistry in the Community, Fourth Ed.
Figure 4-19, that shows the energy of EM waves as proportional to the
frequency.

Bill Taylor

=====
Bill Taylor