job opening for spring '03

From: Burt Kessler (bcomet@postoffice.pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 15:32:12 PST

Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 15:32:12 -0800
From: Burt Kessler <bcomet@postoffice.pacbell.net>
Subject: job opening for spring '03

Because of impending surgery, I will be unable to finish this school
year. My school is looking for a long term sub from May 1 through
June 13. Salary is competitive based on experience, at independent
school rates (generally higher than public school salaries). The
position includes 3 sections of 8th grade Life Science (the entire
8th grade) and one section of 7th grade Physical Science. Each
section has 20 - 24 students.

Prospect Sierra School
960 Avis Dr.
El Cerrito, CA 94530
510-527-4714
burt@prospectsierra.org

Prospect Sierra is an independent private school, academically
oriented and progressive in philosophy. The school motto: Developing
Heart, Mind, and Community; describes the school well. The school
community is very supportive. This includes faculty, staff,
administration, and parents. The science lab is well equipped and
Jonathan Cohen, the other 7th grade science teacher, will guide the
Physical Science curriculum, probably Light.

The curriculum for the 8th grade Life Science course is wide open.
I generally allow the students to choose the final topic for the year
after I finish my set curriculum with evolution. The students have a
solid grounding in biochemistry, cells, and genetics. This is an
opportunity to come in and teach a 5 week stand alone unit with some
highly motivated, well prepared 8th graders. Some suggested topics
might include, Drugs and the Nervous System, Ecology or Environmental
science (the year has focused on molecular and cell bio), any subset
of anatomy or physiology, taxonomy or a survey of 5 kingdoms or a
focus on any particular taxa. Almost any topic that can be taught
with some hands on and/or inquiry based pedagogy would be well
received.

If you know someone looking for a full time position for the end of
this school year, please let them know about this. They can contact
me directly at the email address above, or inquire about the school
by calling the office or the Middle School Director Laurette Cestare
at the phone number above.

Thank you,

Burt Kessler

--
The secret of happiness is not in doing what  one likes to do, but in
liking what one has to do.