Nat. Geographic Ed. Grants

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 14:03:33 PST

Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:03:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Nat. Geographic Ed. Grants

I'm thinking of applying for a grant, but I would like
to know if anyone is using or is interested in using
Arcview-GIS programs with their students. While I
don't know yet where I'll be teaching I would like to
do something on habitat/resources using Arcview and
GPS. In particular I want to geocode resources in an
inner-city. If you have access to the program and are
interested in communicating, let me know.

With firm handshake,
Raleigh

National Geographic Society's Education Foundation
Offers Teacher Grants

Deadline: June 12, 2003

The mission of the National Geographic Society's
Education
Foundation (
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foundation/ )
is to "prepare children to embrace a diverse world,
succeed in a global economy, and steward the planet's
resources."
The foundation's teacher grants are awarded to
educators
to facilitate their work in the classroom, school,
district, and/or
community. Applications are accepted from
any current teacher or administrator in an accredited
K-12 school within the United States. Projects that
feature outreach to urban areas are particularly
encouraged.

The foundation plans to make more than $100,000 in
grants
of up to $5,000 each to help teachers -- or a group of
educators -- make an even greater impact in their
class-
room, school, district, and/or community through
innova-
tive geography education projects. In accordance with
its
mission, the foundation seeks to fund projects in
either
of two broad categories: 1) promoting geographic
knowledge
through education, and 2) promoting stewardship of
natural
and cultural resources.

The Education Foundation is most interested in
projects
that seek to improve student achievement through geo-
graphic literacy. In accomplishing this objective,
projects should include one or more of the following
strategies: explore uses of new technologies; expand
student experiential-learning opportunities; and
engage
families and/or communities in education.

The funds for a project will generally be awarded to
an
organization -- usually an educator's school -- that
can
provide evidence that it is exempt from federal income
tax
under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code,
or
to which contributions are deductible under section
170(c)
(2) of the Internal Revenue Code. All projects should
be
scheduled to begin and end during the 2003-2004 school
year or the summer of 2004.

Online applications are strongly encouraged. See the
Education Foundation's Web site for complete
guidelines
and application forms.

RFP Link:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/education/teacher_community/get_grant.html

For additional RFPs in Education, visit:
http://fdncenter.org/pnd/rfp/cat_education.jhtml