CLAD certification query

From: Kim Greco (kgreco@elmolino.org)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 09:46:31 PDT

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:46:31 -0700
Subject: CLAD certification query
From: Kim Greco <kgreco@elmolino.org>

The teachers in my district were informed last week that we have to get the
CLAD certification by September 1 of 2003 or face possible RIFs or
transfers. The district is offering a summer class (2 weeks) plus a test;
the other option is paying about $1200 to UCSD for a video class, for which
one would submit papers but not take a test.

I have several questions. (1) Why is this happening so suddenly? (2) Why
is it happening at all? (3) Does your district have any more merciful
way of helping the teachers with this that does not involve massive amounts
of our time and money? (such as in-service during the year?). (4) Have
either teachers' unions fought this?

Thanks for your help, and thanks to the folks I talked to at that great
Sound workshop on Saturday. I'm still hoping for some good news!

Kim Greco
El Molino High School
Forestville