small circular rainbow question

From: Debbie Berlin (debbie_berlin@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 05:47:56 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 05:47:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Debbie Berlin <debbie_berlin@yahoo.com>
Subject: small circular rainbow question

I was flying home to Boston yesterday and I noticed a rainbow outside the plane's window. It was circular, which makes complete sense (I was viewing it above the clouds, thus against a white background, so I could perceive all of it). Here's what I don't get. It was much much smaller than a typical rainbow. In diameter, it was about one fist held at arm's length. I ruled out some obvious explanations but was then stuck. Any answers? Other than "get a new pair of glasses?" :)

Thanks, Debbie