Re: Pinhole Digest #1206 - 05/05/03

From: David Lauter (djlauter@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 23:13:39 PDT

From: "David Lauter" <djlauter@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #1206 - 05/05/03
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 23:13:39 -0700

A great spot is Golden Gate Beach which is between Baker Beach and Fort
Point. Recently one of the paths to the beach was widened and terraced so
you can safely bring a group of students down there IF you scout out the
area. There are many dangerous trails for the careless, so you should take
an afternoon to explore this area. Pick a time when the tide is fairly low
and you will also see some nice tide pools. "Streetcar to Subduction"
devotes several pages to this spot. There are large boulders of chert that
have turned more than 180 degrees; There are pulverized cliffs of
serpentenite; There are boulders that appear to be layered with marble.
One warning- In summer the path can be dusty, so be careful. This dust
probably contains a considerable amount of asbestos. Another warning-
There are often some naked guys wandering around this area, so some students
may be offended or embarrassed.
Lauter
George Washington High