Flame testing

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 06:53:24 PDT

Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 06:53:24 -0700
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: Flame testing

When doing flame tests on ionic solutions, the color of the emitted
(visible) light is determined just by the cations. I have never heard
an explanation that I liked about why the anions (negatively charged
ions) don't emit any light in the visible spectrum. Yesterday one of
my students asked the same question -- can anyone help out?

Thanks,
Geoff