Re: pinhole acetylene

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 14:03:54 PDT

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:03:54 -0700
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole acetylene

Hi Yibi

Here's what one of my friends has to say

Hi Paul,

"Many" years ago when I was taking a shop class we were warned about
this very fact. 15 lb was the magic number. The explanation we received
was that the acetylene was dissolved in either a physical lattice or
solution (I can't remember) and if the regulator was opened to much the
pressure drop would allow it to come out of suspension, violently. Thus,
acetylene regulators are fitted with a stop to prevent them from being
opened to far.

I remember his words very clearly, "Graham, if you ever see that needle
rise above the 15 pound mark, say goodbye...quickly. That's about all
you will have time for."

andy

and another adds

Free acetylene can detonate at pressure exceeding 28psi when temperature =>70F.
 Explosive pressure decreases with increasing T.