orbitz....almost

From: Black, Heidi (BlackH@esuhsd.org)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 07:35:09 PDT

Subject: orbitz....almost
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:35:09 -0700
From: "Black, Heidi" <BlackH@esuhsd.org>

At Valley Fair yesterday, i stopped to buy some smoothies. The drinks come with some "boba-tapioca beads" in the bottom. My daughter deemed them inedible, so the only thing left to do was take them home and do the experiment. It took around half a cup of sugar, but we got them to do the neutrally buoyant float!

The outfit is called Bosion Delight. The "beads" are dyed with caramel coloring so show up nicely, and are about the size of a pea.

If you didn't get to play with the Orbitz version, we would add water to make all the beads sink, and sugar to make them all float, very cool density demo-though my chem teacher friends claimed some other hocus pocus. ;^)

One heads up- by morning, the beads were all on the bottom again.

Happy relaxing-(and learning to those of you craming your heads full of more great things to share with your students!)

Heidi Black