Re: Significant figures

From: ROY MAYEDA (roymayeda@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 28 2003 - 20:21:47 PDT

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:21:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: ROY MAYEDA <roymayeda@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Significant figures

Hi Ben.

Actually, I think that's more of a convention. Since the batting average is calculated on exact counts (no measuring tolerance to deal with), it would not be an appropriate application of significant figures anyway. And we all know that significant figures is really just a non-engineering way of getting around the real world issue of tolerances, right? :-) My students always seem to struggle with the idea at first, but they calm down after a while. Cheers.

Roy Mayeda
Veteran Science Teacher-at-Large
Wheaton, MN