book recommendation: Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

From: Debbie Berlin (debbie_berlin@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 11:52:50 PDT

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:52:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Debbie Berlin <debbie_berlin@yahoo.com>
Subject: book recommendation: Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

This book is excellent...it reads like fiction but is all science. Bill Bryson writes for the lay person and attempts to answer major science questions. It's so impressive that my high school is thinking of creating a one-semester class around it and using it as our textbook. I think just about every science teacher would love it, and even the most science-phobic students will get a kick out of it. Unlike most popular science books, this weaves together the various aspects of science (history, chemistry, physics, biology, earth and space science) into a seamless "story," replete with humor, interesting tidbits, and character development.
Enjoy!
--Debbie