Re: pinhole conceptual physics

From: Andria Erzberger (alerzberger@lbl.gov)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 09:59:07 PDT

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:59:07 -0700
Subject: Re: pinhole conceptual physics
From: Andria Erzberger <alerzberger@lbl.gov>

I don't know if Clarence is on this listserv, so I'll answer for him. I
taught with him when he was at Paly. He is now retired from Gunn.

Neither high school ever had Conceptual Physics required for 9th or
10th. Students could take conceptual or honors in 10-12, but most took
it in 11th. At the time I was at Paly (I've been working for QuarkNet
for the last 5 years) about 95% of our students took physics, so there
was no pressure to have "physics first". We felt that 9th physics
would handicap better-math students who would take physics only in 9th
instead of 11th or 12th.

Paly has all science APs as second year courses, which we felt made the
first year courses better. For physics it was both sections of physics
AP-C. Gunn has AP-B and AP-C taught in the first year of physics.

Andi

On Thursday, August 21, 2003, at 02:30 PM, Eric Plett wrote:

> Hello Aaron,
>
> Check with Palo Alto HS or Clarence Baaken (sp?). I used to stay in
> contact with Palo Alto HS when Clarence Bakken used to be there. He's
> now at Gunn HS. They used to have all of their students take CP
> either 9th or 10th grade. You can reach Clarence through the Northern
> Ca AAPT site.
>
> Eric

> an
> email to requests@exploratorium.edu with the words 'subscribe digest
> pinhole' (without the quotes) in the SUBJECT of the email.
>
> Check out what your colleagues have written on Pinhole in the Pinhole
> archives at: http://saturn.exploratorium.edu/ti/alumni/pinhole.html
> ----

Andria Erzberger
Lawrence Berkeley Natl. Lab