mystery item

From: Gail Peiterson (gpeiterson@punahou.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 01:57:46 PDT

From: "Gail Peiterson" <gpeiterson@punahou.edu>
Subject: mystery item
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:57:46 -1000

Aloha,

I have a wild guess for the mystery item.... It looks like a really high
tech cloud chamber. ( based on the cheap ones I have used -this is my
perdiction)
The radioactive source goes in the stopper (usually in the eye of a large
needle. The felt is soaked in alcohol and dry ice goes on or under the
apparatus . The cyliner/ tube is the viewing plan..with a dark bottom to
see the alpha particle trial as it goes through the cloud of CO2 gas.
Maybe the leads hooks up to a geiger counter...

or maybe I stayed up too late looking at Mars through the palm trees here in
Hawaii...

Guess when I should be sleeping,
Gail
Please note & update your address book with my new email address :) Thanks!
gpeiterson@punahou.edu

We have a new piece of mystery equipment to be identified.
Please help our alumni figure out what this thing is.
It can be view at:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ti/alumni/show_and_tell/
It is in the alumni area, so use your "teacher" "institute" pass codes.

Thanks,