Re: Whiteboards

From: Rob Lee (rjl@netdex.com)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 10:42:50 PDT

Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 10:42:50 -0700
Subject: Re: Whiteboards
From: Rob Lee <rjl@netdex.com>

On Sunday, August 31, 2003, at 12:20 AM, Pinhole Listserv wrote:
> Subject: class set of whiteboards
> From: "Carol Wawrukiewicz Connelly" <carolwaw@hotmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:59:17 +0000
>
> I'd like to make a classroom set of small whiteboards, and I seem to
> remember that there is an inexpensive material that can be bought at
> home
> improvement stores that will serve the purpose. Has anyone done this?
> Do
> you know what the material is called? Also, does anyone know a source
> of
> cheap dry-erase pens?
>
> thanks!
> Carol Connelly
> carolwaw@hotmail.com

> Help protect your PC: Get a free online virus scan at McAfee.com.
>

> Here's some info on whiteboards from the modeling physics list serve
> at Arizona State: http://modeling.asu.edu/

Rob Lee
Healdsburg HS

WHITEBOARDS (Sept. 2002 revision)
                                ------------------------------------
        AN INEXPENSIVE whiteboard IS MARLITE, or kitchen/bathroom tileboard or
economy board. It can be bought at building materials stores, hardware
stores, and home improvement stores like Home Depot or Loews. It comes
in 4' x 8' sheets, for about $12 per sheet. Have them cut it into 6
equal pieces, each 24" x 32".
        Marlite boards last a couple of years (using them for 5 classes daily)
before they get too scratched up and stained to use. If you wax the
boards after you buy them, that preserves them. Use Endust, Meguiars
Mirror Glaze #26 or liquid car wax (Turtle Wax). You can clean stains
with brake fluid. (Your school custodian may know these tricks.) Wipe
them with a rag, paper towel, or whiteboard eraser, and don’t leave
writing on them over the weekend. Clean them occasionally with
whiteboard cleaner ($1.50 from Sanford Expo), window cleaner,"Simple
Green" (it's non-toxic & biodegradable; buy a gallon, dilute it 5-fold,
and dispense it in small spray bottles from the craft store), or
isopropyl alcohol (from grocery store: 70%) on a paper towel. Isopropyl
alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is the main ingredient of the commercial
cleaners that you can buy. A modeler said, “I always have to leave my
whiteboards overnight with writing on them - I use 409 to clean them
and it works great! My whiteboards are 8 years old and still look
good.” A modeler said, “When the dry erase marks get difficult to
erase, clean the erasers with a hose vacuum cleaner.” Wax them
occasionally to guard against scratching.
         A handle is nice but not essential. Have the shop class use a router
to make a hole that's 6" long x 1 1/2" wide, placed 1" below the top.
Or drill a hole and use a saber saw (jig saw) with the highest quality
size 18 blade. The high quality fine blade is needed to prevent
tearing.
                 Instead of making the hole (or in addition), you could use an
easel to place the boards on when the students do their presentation.
Make an easel - it’s easy. Art stores have wooden ones. Or drill a
small hole and hang the whiteboard from a hospital IV stand; these can
be obtained in thrift stores or from people who have had long-term
illnesses requiring IVs. (When you do circle whiteboarding, you can
have the students set them upright on the floor, resting on their legs.)
        You’ll probably need from 12 to 36 whiteboards and 18 to 36 dry erase
markers.
For example, Larry Dukerich, our workshop leader, buys 2 Marlite sheets
(that’s 12 whiteboards) every couple of years; he finds that 12
whiteboards are enough for his 5 classes.

Excellent quality whiteboards, with handle on the long side and rounded
corners, can be purchased in multiples of 6 for $7.95 per board +
approx. $2 per board shipping/handling from:
PLAYSCAPES, INC., 2600 Daniels Street, Madison, WI 53704 (800)
248-7529, (608) 222-9600
fax: 222-8100. Jennifer Newcomb, jnewcomb@playscapes.com.
        These whiteboards are very durable; they don’t scratch easily, they
don’t discolor or stain easily. Indications are that they will last
for 10 years or longer. The trick is not to leave stuff on them for
days; wipe with a rag or w/b eraser. Commercial cleaner or alcohol
takes off stains.

        Dry erase markers cost about $10 per dozen, wholesale. Sanford EXPO
work the best. Don’t use black; it stains! Blue and green leave fewest
stains, blue, black, and red show up well - get broad or chisel point.
  If you can, have each student buy their own marker; it promotes
responsibility (i.e., they replace the cap!). One teacher buys a
classroom set of markers and then has each student pay her for one.
She gives them the choice of keeping it with their supplies or else
taping their name on it and storing it in a coffee can in the
classroom. Another modeler suggests making "color coded 'eraser'
bandanas for each team. A couple of markers and a small spray bottle
of 'Simple Green' cleaner can be tied inside the team bandana."
        The "low-odor" markers are difficult to erase. They leave a stubborn
residue.
        If you accidentally use a PERMANENT marker on the w/b: to remove the
stain, use hair spray, acetone, or fingernail polish remover; or write
over the permanent marker with a dry-erase marker; wipe as usual.