Re: pinhole measuring conductance

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 16:18:15 PDT

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 16:18:15 -0700
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: Re: pinhole measuring conductance

A conductivity meter is different than a voltmeter or ammeter. You
might be able to use an ohmmeter since (I think) conductivity meters
measure resistance or the lack thereof. Putting anything electrical
into a solution that's not specifically designed for it seems
sketchy, however.

I do conductivity labs at my school by using Radio Shack buzzers
hooked up to 9V batteries, with the wire leads from each end of the
circuit dangling into the solution. The volume of the buzzer matches
up really nicely with how much it conducts. It's not quantitative,
but it works really well qualitatively. If you want the lab handout,
e-mail me directly.

- Geoff