Mac to TV

From: Ronald Wong (ronwong@inreach.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 01:37:41 PDT

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 01:37:41 -0700
From: Ronald Wong <ronwong@inreach.com>
Subject: Mac to TV

Heidi recently said:

>This may be a mute point, but a friend of mine works as the =
>instructional technology guy for Milpitas. He says what is needed is as =
>follows, and gives a person who can help.
>
>Scan Converter
>
>Averkey 300 or Focus are best.. Both run around $120.

For anyone thinking of hooking up their computer to a TV set, I would
suggest that you first look to see if your computer already has that
capability.

With all the interest in graphics, digital photography, and computers in
the classroom, many computers come with this feature.

If you have an IBM clone, see if it has a video card and, if so, read your
documentation to see if it puts out S-video or Composite video.

If the card is an ATI Redeon 7500, ATI Redeon 9000, NVDIA GeForce FX 5200 -
cards which work with both clones and Macs - or something similar, then all
you need to do is get the right cable/TV set (Check the specs for the TV to
ensure compatibility). These cards can feed your computer's output to a TV
set as well as to a high definition monitor.

The same applies to Mac users.

For instance, any eMac (with AirPort Extreme) or iMac (1GHz and above) can
be connected to a TV set with an inexpensive adapter.

See:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M91
09G/A

The part number is in the URL: M9109G/A and it costs $19.

If your computer is not TV savvy, and you want to connect to a TV set,
give some thought to getting a video card if you are also interested in
computer graphics and/or digital photography. Two of the cards above cost
less than a $100 and give you the ability to work with a high definition
monitor for your graphics/digital work (and games if that's your thing) as
well as allowing you to hook up to a TV set.

In general, a TV set will not display the information that comes out of a
computer as well as a computer monitor.

The scan converters, like those mentioned by Heidi, take the RGB/sync
output of the computer and convert it - as best they can - into something
that approximates the NTSC standard used in the TV industry.

Like the graphics cards, some do it better than others. In either case, I
would suggest that you find a way of seeing how well the card/converter
fulfills your needs before putting your money down.

Just a thought.

ron