Re: forces/friction

From: Black, Heidi (BlackH@esuhsd.org)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 12:00:00 PDT

Subject:  Re: forces/friction
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:00:00 -0700
From: "Black, Heidi" <BlackH@esuhsd.org>

Heidi Strahm Black
Science Fair Coordinator
East Side Union HSD
408-347-6563

Jennie,
 Here is a stab-and I'm very rusty from being out of the classroom for
several years. The same frictional force acts on the two surfaces
involved, the ground and the ball (and may come in the form of static
electrical attraction)-but remember, the forces are acting on two
different masses, again, the ball and the ground. So, the less massive
ball will accelerate more than the more massive ground. There are 2
forces, but acting on different objects-the car is pushing on the air
and the road, the road is pushing on the tires, the air is pushing on
the car. (We don't see the increased acceleration of the air) Good
Luck!

_