total thermal energy question

From: Science Classroom (stf-lmorton@vom.com)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 15:51:26 PDT

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:51:26 -0700
From: Science Classroom <stf-lmorton@vom.com>
Subject: total thermal energy question

Pinholers,
In my 8th grade physical science class yesterday I was trying describe
the difference between temperature and total thermal energy. If the
total thermal energy is equal to, or proportional to, the product of the
number of atoms times the kinetic energy of the atoms, how does this
effect the total for those objects that are at a fraction of 1 Kelvin?
Any help for myself or my curious 8th grader?
Lou Morton
St. Francis Solano School