Re: pinhole 2 friction questions for the physics folks out there

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 15:57:05 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:57:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: pinhole 2 friction questions for the physics folks out there
From: pauld@exploratorium.edu

I hope these are a start toward answering your questions:

1. Atoms attract each other when a little ways apart and repel when
pushed together. (Due to electrical interactions between electrons and
nuclei, i.e Van Der Waals interactions)

When two rough surfaces (and even fire polished glass has rough spots a
few hundred atoms high) slide across each other. The protrusions on one
surface colliode with the protrusions on the other surface (collide via
electrical forces.) When the surfaces are inspected before and after two
objects slide across each other with friction, the protrusions are shown
to have changed shape, the tops have been deformed by plastic flow and
melting.

2.

The Friction force

The part of the contact force between two objects parallel to the surfaces
between them. (The perpendicular part is called the "normal" force.)

Paul D