RE: pinhole Supersaturation lab?

From: Coral Clark (coralc@raft.net)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 09:57:27 PST

From: "Coral Clark" <coralc@raft.net>
Subject: RE: pinhole Supersaturation lab?
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:57:27 -0800

RAFT has little "Zap Packs" (supersaturated, supercooled packets of sodium
acetate)that would be interesting for students to investigate. They release
heat as they change phase and freeze. The crystals grow before your eyes...
an excellent demonstration. We still have quite a few, but when they are
gone, they are gone; we will not get any more in. We sell them in the
"Green Room" for 20 for $1 (yes, that is 5 cents each)! They will also be
for sale at the Asilomar Math conference this weekend in the exhibit hall.