Re: pinhole epsom salts

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 07:25:56 PST

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:25:56 -0800
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: Re: pinhole epsom salts

epsom salts = magnesium sulfate,MgSO4
        (technically epsom salt is hydrated w/ 7 water molecules,
meaning that there are water molecules loosely bonded around the
magnesium sulfate. So technically the name is magnesium sulfate
heptahydrate, but I ignore that when I teach about ionic salts)

washing soda = sodium carbonate, Na2CO3

the chemical equation for mixing solutions would be:
MgSO4(aq) + Na2CO3(aq) --> MgCO3(s) + Na2SO4(aq)
So this reaction is a precipitation reaction -- solid magnesium
carbonate is formed.