must see videos consolidated list

From: Mark Lawton (markslawton@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 19:01:10 PST

Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:01:10 -0800
Subject: must see videos consolidated list
From: Mark Lawton <markslawton@hotmail.com>

Thank you all for your suggestions of "must see" videos. A consolidated
list follows:

-Mark Lawton
(snowed in) in Portland

From: Rob Lee <robly19@comcast.net>
To: <markslawton@hotmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2004 7:03 AM
Subject: Videos

Frames of Reference is a great classic.
It shows non-inertial frames well and art students might appreciate the
different perspectives for the same frames.

Take a look at The Private Lives of Plants David Attenborough) - a PBS
series. Very high interest.

Ring of Truth is the series by Morrison-gets my vote. Rotten World
Around Us and Invasion of the Parasites are great, too.

Edgerton and His Incredible Seeing Machines gets my vote for "great
video". The life and work of the man who invented the strobe light and
its use in photography. Everything from the bullet through the apple &
milk drop to the atomic bomb were photographed by Edgerton and these are
his original films. Works with laws of motion, why there is splash back
in the center of some meteor craters and lots more.

The Great Dance -- a hunter's story -- about the San tribe in Namibia
Nova -- The Universe Within -- shows the digestive, heart and reproductive
systems of famous athletes
PBS series on evolution
Nova -- Dying to Be Thin, http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/thin/
Powers of 10 --
http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/
Nova -- The Elegant Universe --
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

I loved the "Powers of Ten" video

Mark,
I like the series by Philip Morrison, but I can't recall the name.
Many different areas, mostly in physics are explained in an
interesting manner. One episode was done at the Exploratorium.
There was another series called the, "Ascent of Man" by Jacob
Brownoski, but its pretty old and probably not available any more.
And there is the "Cosmos" series by Carl Sagan. Very well done.
Jim