COSMOS summer opportunity

From: Ben Pittenger (benpittenger@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 10:32:57 PST

Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:32:57 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
From: Ben Pittenger <benpittenger@earthlink.net>
Subject: COSMOS summer opportunity

I recently received this through a different source. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity. I have had one of my students attend the COSMOS program. She was a great student and she spoke very highly of her experience. I think a teacher working in this setting would have fun with some wonderful students. If you go, I'll be jealous!

I did not get the attachments, but if you are interested, the contact information is at the bottom of the message.

Ben

Jamie Alonzo here - SEP member and director of the UC Santa Cruz COSMOS
(California State Summer School for Mathematics and Science) program. I'm
writing to ask for your help in recruiting quality high school teachers for
participation in our summer program. In short, we host 150 talented high
school students interested in math and science on the UCSC campus for a
month in the summer where they take courses from university faculty. Each
year we recruit ~9 high school teachers (called COSMOS Teacher Fellows) to
participate in our program. It is a truly unique and wonderful
professional development opportunity (and we pay well!). Attached you will
find a copy of the official recruitment flyer and application for you to
distribute at will to any high school teachers interested in math or
science that you deem qualified. Currently, it looks like we will be
recruiting teacher fellows for 2 course 'clusters': Cluster 1: Applied
Mathematics & Logic and Cluster 3: Under the Sea: Exploring Marine
Organisms and Their World. Thank you in advance for your help with this
endeavor and I welcome any questions about COSMOS and/or our Teacher Fellow
program. Take care and happy new year!

Everything best,

Jamie
Web: http://epc.ucsc.edu/cosmos/