Current Thinking on Global Warming

From: Stephen Ribisi Jr (sribisi@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 13:17:38 PST

From: "Stephen Ribisi Jr" <sribisi@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Current Thinking on Global Warming
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:17:38 -0800

Hi Pinholers,

First, what is the scientific definition of global warming? I was speaking
with a colleague who was wondering how global warming could possibly be
occurring when the northeastern US is current experiencing very, very cold
weather. That particular question, I think, points to a misconception about
global warming. I was wondering what the current scientific thinking is on
the effects of global warming on our weather and environment. Does anyone
know what effects scientists predict we will observe on weather patterns
from year to year if the global warming hypothesis does indeed have merit?
Information on any resources that can be used in the classroom would also be
appreciated.

All the best,

Steve

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
Stephen Ribisi, Jr., Ph.D.
Biologist/Educator
CILS Biology Postdoctoral Fellow

Exploratorium Teacher Institute