Teaching Jobs -- New Private School in SF!

From: Linda Shore (lindas@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 10:02:18 PST

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:02:18 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Teaching  Jobs -- New Private School in SF!
From: "Linda Shore" <lindas@exploratorium.edu>

Here is an announcment from a new private school starting up in San
Francisco!

Faculty Positions at The Bay School

The Bay School is seeking leading educators as candidates for our founding
faculty. This core group of teachers will be instrumental in refining the
curriculum, and will provide leadership for future teachers as the school
grows and faculty expands. As we build our new school, it is important
for our faculty to be the life-long learners and independent thinkers we
wish to see our students become. We are looking for educators who are
creative and responsible in their use of time and resources; individuals
who possess a clear vision for creating a democratic learning environment
and can translate that vision into practice. It is equally important for
faculty to share our conviction that a diverse, inclusive community is
fundamental to an educational experience of excellence. We are deeply
committed to having a faculty and student body which reflect the rich
diversity within the Bay Area, and strongly encourage candidates of color
to apply.

As co-creators of a new high school, it is important to possess a genuine
interest and affection for adolescents and a true sense of adventure and
humor. Individual learning styles are valued at The Bay School.
Candidates should be knowledgeable in this area and able to demonstrate
adaptability and innovation in their teaching and assessment methods. In
pursuit of The Bay School’s mission, all faculty must be comfortable
exploring issues of spirituality and discussing the complex questions
surrounding science, technology, culture, and religion in the modern
world. The ability to collaborate with colleagues and build a
supportive environment is essential. The faculty who will generate this
dynamic new community must be flexible, open-minded, and committed to
reinvention.

Job Description - Science

We are seeking two science teachers, effective July 1, 2004. The
successful candidates will each facilitate three sections within our
science curriculum for freshmen and sophomores. Courses will be offered
in conceptual physics and chemistry, and will include laboratory work,
data analysis, projects, and the study of social, moral, and ethical
issues as they relate to science. In addition to instructional time, all
full-time faculty serve as student advisors and student activities
mentors.

Qualifications

Candidates must have a strong science background with a degree in physics,
chemistry, or other closely related field. S/he will be passionate about
the subject matter and have significant experience teaching in a rigorous,
college preparatory environment.
To apply, please email a resume and statement of teaching philosophy to
Ms. Ryn Blecke at rblecke@bayschoolsf.org.
We welcome you to visit our website at www.bayschoolsf.org

--
Linda Shore, Ed.D
Director, Exploratorium Teacher Institute