Re: pinhole Ice forming on running water

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 13:03:59 PST

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:03:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: pinhole Ice forming on running water
From: pauld@exploratorium.edu

Hi Christopher

I've been out on vacation, skiing on ice cold water crystals.

This is a bit tricky.

It's not the motion of the water that matters it's the relative motion or
shear flows.

Consider a calm lake that is freezing.
Run past the lake, from your rame of reference the water is moving yet it
still freezes. This is like the water at the surface of a river, it's all
moving aong together and should freeze.

However, if there is turbulence to the flow then one parcel of water is
moving relative to another parcel of water. This is shear flow. The shear
flow leads to eddies, the eddies break up into smaller and smaller eddies
with time and then eventually add to the random thermal motion of the
water, increasing its temperature a little, detering ice formation. New
large eddies are always forming and decaying.

The famous poem is:

Big wirls have little whirls that feed on their velocity
and little whirls have lesser swirls and so on to viscoscity.

Paul D