RE: alternative grading systems and learning outcomes

From: TheSnarr (thesnarr@maaonline.net)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 22:45:52 PST

From: "TheSnarr" <thesnarr@maaonline.net>
Subject: RE: alternative grading systems and learning outcomes
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:45:52 -0800

Debbie,

It seems to me to be a noble goal. I would love to have every lab and
assignment broken into skill levels as you described. It provides a very
object rubric, if you will, to measure each student. The objective
nature seems to me that it would make the grading actually not much
harder. The extra work would come in the creation of the assessment
tools.

At a glance, I would like to respond to your example below. The
progression of skills from 1-5 on Newton's laws is stated very well. I
am not sure that it is any different than the current goals of any
physics teacher during that unit. One would start with the basics and
definitions and add additional forces, then vectors, then friction, etc.
as you move through the unit. There will be some students that will lose
it and not do so well when reaching the last step. Their grade would be
reduced for not doing the more complex problems at the end of the unit.
I would venture to guess that your grading scheme would produce the same
results in a more direct way.

However, a couple of more things come to mind. One, your example below
would require a few weeks of class time to get to the measuring point
mentioned. This would correlate with the traditional method. Two, I
think there could be some real benefits. Like you say, the students will
have a much clearer picture of how they are to be graded. This will
possibly encourage some of them to try to reach the highest level. I
think every student appreciates the clarity of the grading scheme and it
cuts out any possibility of them arguing over a grade!

In thinking a little about this approach, I would be inclined to phase
it in over several years by starting with some of the more complex
assignments and labs and working this system slowly into the entire
course. This will give you some basis for evaluation and not require
what I would imagine to be an incredible amount of extra work to
implement for every assignment mid-year!

I hope my rambling thoughts help!

-Brian Snarr